Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation Blog The ethics of contact tracing apps: International perspectives.
- Unless they are developed and deployed ethically, public confidence may erode and the opportunity might be lost – not only when it comes to this specific technology but in future government attempts to use data and AI as well.
- Different countries represented are all facing similar challenges.
- A particular challenge comes in collecting additional data through the app and also enabling it to be used for research.
- technology that depends on mass take-up would require a clear communications strategy.
- People’s confidence in the app and likelihood to download it largely depends on whether it is viewed as effective. A number of countries highlighted research into public attitudes which found that, for many people, effectiveness was felt to be of greater concern than privacy.